The Satanic Bible is a book that contains observations, essays and rituals. It was published in 1969 by Anton LaVey. In contrary to sacredness upheld by Christians and Muslims in regard to the Holy Bible and the Quran, the Satanic Bible is not considered sacred. As much as the Satanic Bible may not be considered holy, it is an authoritative book that guides the Satanic community. This Bible is composed of four books: the book of Satan, the book of Lucifer, the book of Belial and the book of Leviathan. The content of this book is discussed below.
The book begins with appreciation by Anton LaVey to the people that were great influencers in publishing and writing of the Satanic Bible. This includes Bernardino Nogara, Karl Haushofer, Grigori Rasputin, Basil Zaharoff, Alessandro Cagliostro, Barnabas, Ragnar Redbeard, and many others.
In the various publications that have been made, the Satanic Bible includes introductions by various Authors. This introduction includes an excerpt from an article by Burton Wolfe, entitled “The Church That Worship Satan.” Burton gives a biography of LaVey and the history of the Church.
LaVey tries to explain his reasons for writing the Satanic Bible. He condemns many authours who have written articles or books on magic but have no idea on the subject. He declares that the Satanic Bible contains both truth and fantasy.
In the prologue, the Satanic Bible discusses the human nature, good and evil and the concept of gods. In addition to that, it also includes the nine satanic statements that are listed below.
- Satan represents indulgence, instead of abstinence.
- Satan represents vital existence, instead of spiritual pipe dreams.
- Satan represents undefiled wisdom, instead of hypocritical self-deceit.
- Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it, instead of love wasted on ingrates.
- Satan represents vengeance, instead of turning the other cheek.
- Satan represents responsibility to the responsible, instead of concern for psychic vampires.
- Satan represents man as just another animal, sometimes better, more often worse than those that walk on all-fours, who, because of his "divine spiritual and intellectual development," has become the most vicious animal of all.
- Satan represents all of the so-called sins, as they all lead to physical, mental, or emotional gratification.
- Satan has been the best friend the church has ever had, as he has kept it in business all these years.
The Book of Satan
This book opposes the ten commandments that are believed by most if not all Christians. Most of the content of the book is extracted from “Mighty is Right” by Redbeard. In this book, LaVey strongly supports the Darwinism theory of“ survival for the fittest”
The Book Of Lucifer
This book contains most of the ideologies and philosophies of the Satanic beliefs. It presents another perspective on the idea that Satan is an evil being as presented by most Christians. It also speaks in detail about love, sex and hate.
The Book of Belial
This book entails the rituals that are practised by Satanists and speaks in detail about magic. The three forms of rituals, that is the sex rituals, the compassionate rituals and the destructive rituals are discussed in detail.
The Book of Leviathan
This book stresses the importance of emotions and spoken words to actual magic.