“The Bible may, indeed does, contain a warrant for trafficking in humans, for ethnic cleansing, for slavery, for bride-price, and for indiscriminate massacre, but we are not bound by any of it because it was put together by crude, uncultured human mammals.”
― Christopher Hitchens
Christians repeatedly tell people that if they would just read the Bible, they would surely see that God exists and that He loves them. But I think it is also time to acknowledge that while many folks were convinced and made certain to follow Jesus, there are many others who abstained from worshipping God after reading the Bible.
This happens because we have said that complete Bible is the “Word of God”, but then we overlook, dismiss, handily forget, or are merely untruthful about some of the more disturbing portions of it.
Generally, people will justify the objectionable by saying - Old Testament. So, I'll attempt to try to quote freely from the New Testament.
- God personally will kill thousands of men if they annoy him: - 1stSamuel 6:19 in the King James Version: “And he smote the men of Beth-shemesh, because they had looked into the ark of the LORD, even he smote of the people fifty thousand and threescore and ten men (50,070)”. Kill tens of thousands for looking into something?
- Perversity and human trafficking forgiven: "Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse." (1 Peter 2:18)
Servants should be obedient to their masters with all terror, not only to the decent and kind ones, but also to the exacting masters. Apparently, God supports it.
- Sex slavery pardoned: "When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again." (Exodus 21: 7-8)
I cannot imagine anyone offering their daughters as slaves. And yes, the Christian clarification of this text that this was how the ancient people appreciated hospitality. But that does not make it ok.
- (Rev 21: 8)"liars--their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death."
It seems that the punishment for lying is eternal damnation.
- (Leviticus 21:18-19)- For any man who has a defect shall not approach: a man blind or lame, who has a marred face or any limb too long, a man who has a broken foot or broken hand, or is a hunchback or a dwarf, or a man who has a defect in his eye, or eczema or scab, or is a eunuch.
To pray to God, you externally had to be a perfect male model. Everyone with physical disabilities or any other defect could not approach him. He also dislikes dwarves and hunchbacks.
God cannot be both virtuous, caring, and affectionate, while at the same time encouraging genocide, applauding the smashing of babies’ heads against walls, and dispatching bears to attack children because they made fun of a prophet’s baldness.